A Little of this and that.....

Monday, August 8, 2011

Thrifting Fun!

Awhile back I was in Las Vegas for a few days visiting family for a funeral. We had a little extra time on our hands so I went antiquing and thrift store shopping. Teapots, scales and rolling pins are some of the cool things I came home with.

I have always loved tea cups and teapots and have quite a collection already. When I spot a pretty one my heart starts to beat a little faster. I especially like it when I get them for practically a steal! This one was missing a lid but it will make a wonderful planter or perhaps it will hold some kitchen tools.

Another thing I love is old wooden rolling pins. I look at them and imagine about the ladies who owned them and what they possibly were thinking when they were rolling out their pie crusts. Were they baking a pie for their own family or perhaps it was for a sick neighbor. Maybe they were taking it to church for a potluck supper.

I was lucky enough to get several extra rolling pins for free on this trip! I mentioned to my husband's aunt that I loved old rolling pins and was collecting them. She said she had several that belonged to other family members including my husbands great aunt and his grandmother. I jumped at the chance to bring them home and add them to my collection.

She asked me what other things I was looking for and then began to shop around her house. She kept on puling things out and asking me if I would like them! I was so excited but also kept feeling like I was taking her stuff. She assured me they were things that she didn't want and if I really liked the stuff she would rather they go home with me then just sit around and gather dust.

This beautiful old scale came home with me from her house. I have always wanted one for my kitchen and now I have one.
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
I just love how the front of the face looks. It is going to be a welcome addition to my kitchen! I can see using it for holiday displays or perhaps it will hold some fresh fruit up on top in it's basket.

So I ended up with quite a few good deals from the thrift store and quite a few more for free from my aunt in law!

Linking up to Southern Hospitality, Debbie Does, Between Naps on the Porch and Charm Bracelet Diva

9 comments:

deborah said...

love your rolling pins! I have a collection of red handled ones and have them displayed in a crock. I found you at debbies newbie party. stop by and see some of the primitives i posted!

Betsy said...

Your new "old" treasures are precious...how nice that they have a family history. I like the way you have them displayed in the basket.

Charm Bracelet Diva said...

What great finds! Tea pots make my heart go pitter-patter too! And I've always wanted a scale! Thanks for linking up over at Club G.W. with Charm Bracele Diva. It's great to see you there!

xoxo
Kathleen

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜@ Debbiedoos blogging and blabbing said...

Love thrifting, love the scale. Thanks for sharing at my newbie party and welcome to blogging.

Bunny Jean said...

I just love to wander through antique/thrift stores and look at all the old stuff. Many times I see similar things that I once had.

I host a party on Wednesdays that is a showcase for bloggers with less than 500 followers.... and I would like to invite you! (the linky is open now)

xoxo BunnyJean @ BunnyJean's Decor and More!
www.BunnyJeansDecorAndMore.blogspot.com

I am # 141 in the Met Monday party.

Kelly_Deal said...

Great finds!
Kelly

Helen's Decor said...

Love the teapots and rolling pins. I came from Debbie's Newbie party and just became your newest follower. Hope you follow me, too.
Thanks!

PⒿ @ $ € € ₦$ ₣®0₥... said...

I love old rolling pins too! Those are wonderful!!!

I'm your newest follower!

Christina {The Tattered Tag} said...

Hi~

What wonderful items, I agree, thrifting is fun!! I invite you link to my blog bash {K.I.S.S.} Happy to be a new follower, too. :)

~Christina~

Drop By The Tattered Tag