A Little of this and that.....

Monday, September 29, 2008

Candy Dance Craft Festival- Genoa, Nevada

Well me and 5 other Red and Pink Hat friends went up to Carson City, Nevada for a three day weekend. We went up there for a fun festival that is held nearby and is called The Candy Dance. The festival was in a small town called Genoa. I guess it started years ago as a fundraiser for the town. They would make their homemade candy to help fund the town dance. They still sale the candy and have the town dance but it has turned into a huge festival with lots and lots of crafts and home made items.

We left Friday around noon and drove the 3 1/2 hours to Carson City. We drove by and checked out where the festival was going to be held before we went to our hotel. We saw a lot of the vendors getting ready and putting up their tents and wares. We checked into our hotel and unpacked a little bit. We then went to a really nice BBQ restaurant for dinner before we went back to the hotel for the night. A few of the ladies decided to try their luck at gambling but I choose to go to my room and watch t.v. Gambling really isn't something that I enjoy doing and besides I was saving my money for the craft fair.

Saturday we got up early and went to the Candy Dance Craft Festival. It was the largest craft fair that I have ever been to. We spent the better part of the whole day there and didn't even get through half of the booths. I saw quite a few things that I would have liked to purchase but contained myself somewhat! I did splurge for this lovely bracelet made out of antique spoons made of silver. My spoons were from 1935 and also had a really beautiful pink crystal bead in the center. I also picked up a few wooden blocks for a future craft project I have planned. A purse that was on sale from $35 down to $7 also went home with me.

We then went to a fabric store and I bought quite a few pieces of fabrics that I hadn't seen elsewhere. I picked up a couple of pieces to make aprons for my mom and sisters for Christmas. I also got some fabric for two of my nieces who are going to try and make their own aprons.

We went again the next day to the same fabric store on our way out of town. I again picked up a few pieces of fabric that was unusual and not what you usually see around our fabric stores. I also got some feathers and silk flowers to embellish another hat with.

On the way home we drove back through Lake Tahoe. The lake is so beautiful and calm looking. It was a beautiful three shades of blue. It was so serene looking and I would have loved to have been able to stop and enjoy the beauty of it a little longer but we needed to get back on the road.

I think everyone had a really good time although we were all extremely tired and sore from all of the walking. We got back home around 4:00 pm and had time to relax a little before having to unpack and worry about dirty laundry and what's for dinner.

I hope we are able to go back to the Candy Dance again. I will make sure I'm well rested in advance and have a full pocketbook so I can once again enjoy myself.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

It sounds like it was a lot of fun. How do you find all these things to explore?

Shawnee said...

So glad you've joined the Holiday Hostess Flirty Apron Swap!